Wednesday, October 17, 2012

30 days of art - Why


I have been trying to motivate myself to make some new art, work on new ideas and simply play a little in the shop.  I have been a Blacksmith for 12 years and have recently been having some issues motivating.  '30 days of art' is my way to motivate, give myself reason to just make art.

Another reason for doing this is to create some art for my Etsy page.  This time of the year is always a little financially rough on me because fall and winter are not the time of year when people are thinking about railings, fire pits and garden art.  I figured making some cool new pieces that only take a few to several hours to make would give me something  for the Second Saturday Georgetown Art Walks and for my Etsy store that will help me make some extra bucks to pay rent and bills.


Everything I make (with maybe an exception or two) will be for sale.  I am thinking of auctioning each piece if i can figure out a good way to do it. All money will go to supporting my art by paying my bills (which I'm a little behind on).

Some things to note (or rules if you wish)
  1. I will start (and try to finish) a new piece every day I am in the shop.
  2. If I don't finish a piece (because sometimes it take more time than I think it will) then I can finish it the next day. However I must still start a new piece every day.
  3. 30 days in the shop, not thirty days total. I have some travel coming up which will mean I won't be in the shop every day and well, this is about Blacksmithing which frankly means I need to be in my work space.
  4. Requests for an item may or may not be granted. This is really about me as an artists, so a request for a bracelet or hooks should come without details.  It's what I want to make, not what you want... mostly.
  5. Sometime good ideas don't turn out.  In which case I reserve the right to trash a piece and try to make up for it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment